Simply Sam Trading - Antiques.Brocante.Gifts

We stock a variety of vintage, antique and hand-crafted items. Available on our web store simplysam.co.za or select antiques and beautiful 'proudly South African' hand-made Gift items on sale or to view at VinLee Art Gallery Hilton College Road, Natal Midlands. Hilton off-ramp, N3, Kwazulu Natal

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Welcome to 2011 at Simply Sam Antique Brocante & Gifts

A very happy new year to all our readers. 2011 eased its way into our lives as we climbed into bed at 4h30. Our children had started a new game of pool in 2010, especially so they could complete it into the new year. A novel idea! We had a superb brunch after we'd eventually crept out of bed and then had a leisurely walk up our mountain.Someone mentioned scones and cream whilst we sat at the top, over looking the beauty of the scenery that abounds in our area, so we made a leisurely walk back home to bake - well scones of course, whilst we left the men flying kites in the local field.
I remember my Mum baking scones, black berry and apple pie, rhubarb crumble, or whatever took her fancy, just off the cuff. I find myself doing exactly the same thing. Today I baked two large Focaccia bread. One with ham and fetta the other with loads of garlic, olive oil and crushed salt. I'd actually baked them to take to my neighbour's memorial, who had died strolling on top of our mountain on the morning of Christmas eve. David Fox had lived in our little hamlet for fourty four years, so knew this Fort better than anyone. He had worked tirelessly to keep the Fort Nottingham Museum running (which is on his property) as well the popular annual Fort Nottingham Highland Games which has been attended by hundreds of people every year. I like to think that he passed away doing what he loved best amongst some of the most beautiful scenery.
I think sometimes we have to stop and smell the roses and really appreciate what we have around us. We now have two comfy chairs on our veranda and that is where I have taken to sitting every now and again while I snatch a moment to read. We have the most amazing bird life and the number of times I see both male and female Sunbirds flying into where i'm sitting is a real special treat. It's only in this garden that I have ever actually been able to view the 'Piet-my-vrou' - the red chested cuckoo- who signals that Christmas is near. He is usually so elusive that you can recognise his call, but never actually get to see him.
It has been raining most of the day and the mist cover reminded me of the Lake District when I drove out today and it was just like being back home in England. I hope I can always appreciate what I have right here on my doorstep and realise just how lucky we are to live in this beautiful area. I need to remember to go Blackberry picking tomorrow with my children and bake, well Blackberry pie of course!


No comments:

Post a Comment