Simply Sam Trading - Antiques.Brocante.Gifts

We stock a variety of vintage, antique and hand-crafted items. Available on our web store simplysam.co.za or select antiques and beautiful 'proudly South African' hand-made Gift items on sale or to view at VinLee Art Gallery Hilton College Road, Natal Midlands. Hilton off-ramp, N3, Kwazulu Natal

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Tanglewood Hotel in the Dargle

Easter weekend we were supposed to go away but decided, instead, to explore what we have right on our doorstep. Mainly because when I typed 'Drakensberg' into the google search, many places in the Midlands kept popping up, so I figured we may as well stay right where we are.

I'd almost forgotten about 'Tanglewood Hotel' in the Dargle, a lovely old building dating back to 1885, which besides accommodation also offers meals and is a wonderful wedding venue, so for one of our lunches we meandered there. A couple of years ago this was virtually an abandoned place, which my husband tells me we could have bought, if I hadn't got my heart set on something more Farm like. Anyway the current owners have done a wonderful job of making this very homely and inviting inside, including a lovely pub as part of the old worlde charm. One of the owners is a chef and I have to say that this can be seen in the presentation of the food. My youngest son ordered fish & chips and it was delicious. Definitely going to order that on my next visit. My cajun chicken salad (though missing the cajun and having un-ripe avo) hit the 'healthy' spot, after all those Easter eggs.  We ordered one of each of the puddings on the menu, so we could try them all and, again, besides the wonderful presentation, were all really yummy! Bring me more of that fudge sauce!!!!

The hotel is set back just off the tar road which can be accessed from the R103 Balgowan road, close to Howick, only about 12km on the Dargle/Impendle rd. Close by is the Lavender farm which is a must do, as well as The Wood Turner and Dargle Valley Pottery (one of the founder members of the Midlands Meander).
Contact Tanglewood on 033 234 4366

No comments:

Post a Comment